[Israel.pm] multipart/alternative added

Mikhael Goikhman migo at homemail.com
Thu May 27 07:34:33 PDT 2010

On 27 May 2010 09:28:07 +0300, Gabor Szabo wrote:

> Now I also added text/html to the non-filtering.

Looks like a serious degrade to me.

If previously only one text/plain part was sent by the list and the
message was clearly readable without any parsers, now 3 content parts
are sent from people who insist to use html (text, html and the list
footer that is now sent as a separate text/plain "attachment").

Actually it is more complex than just 3 parts. Count how many
message (i.e. the one I reply to) has 5 (five!) of these headers.

Please take a look how such new messages with all these "attachments"
look in mutt(1) compared to the previous version. At least consider
to remove the list footer. The list headers already provide all
information about the list, seems redudant to add it as content too.

And allowing html makes the message size grow uncontrollably. If
previously many of the small messages on this list were under 1KB,
now it is trivial to get to 6KB, And since now every garbage html
generated by various graphical mailers is passed as is, it will be a
norm for an overhead of dozens of killobytes per message.

And all this for what? Which problem was solved exactly?

> זאת שורה בעברית

Am I supposed to send html now to satisfy those who want this line to
be right aligned? Because if I continue to stick to plain text, all
previously used html is thrown away. So this problem is not solved.

I can't say I am happy about this trend. Instead of asking Google to
fix their gmail client to have sane options (automatically align
Hebrew lines in text if the user wants this; be able to reply by
plain text to the configured addresses regardless of the last message
type sent), people prefer to change the format of mail messages and
even make html "attachements" to be the new mail standard.

In short, I see serious usablity problems now and no problems solved.
</rant>

Regards,
Mikhael.