[Israel.pm] Job: looking for a Perl developer

Gabor Szabo szabgab at gmail.com
Thu May 13 23:01:20 PDT 2010

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 3:25 AM, Eli Billauer <eli at billauer.co.il> wrote:

> The logic goes like this: If someone is looking for a job, all he or she
> needs to do is to drop a mail with the relevant CV. If this person wants
> to keep his or her jobseeking secret, doing this is not wise anyhow,
> even if all cards are on the table.

Do you mean if I send my CV to a potential employer I cannot trust them
NOT to distribute my CV to random places?
Even if they are a job placement company they should ask my approval for
every company they are forwarding my CV.

> If it's not a secret, there is no
> reason not to drop this mail to just anyone. Conclusion: Telling
> everyone who you are has no effect on who's going to send you their CVs.

Probably there are people who don't care who is their employer and what is
the job but I think there are a great many of them, who do care.
There is no point in sending their CV to a company they already know they
don't want to work for.

> So except for satisfying our curiosity, there is no reason whatsoever to
> say anymore than just the job qualifications. As a matter of fact, there
> is no point to even spell out these, since obviously anyone looking for
> a job would send the CV anyhow. I mean, it costs nothing.

Why would someone send their CV to every place that has a job vacancy?
What if the requirements have nothing to do with their expertise or interest?
There might be people sending their CVs to every place. I know I get some
CVs just because I have an e-mail address jobs at ...  but I guess most of
the people will first have at least a minimal check if this is a company they
would want to work for or not.

> This is an annoying result of simple game theory, but it all started
> when people thought it's cool to "educate" companies' representatives in
> public.

Game theory?

Here is my part of the game:

If the employer (person or company) does not want to tell about themselves
I assume they are ashamed of either themselves or the fact that they are
using Perl. It is not likely then that I could be proud of my work there either.
I would not want to work at such place and I'd personally recommend everyone
not to talk to such companies.

OTOH I usually try to help companies find Perl developers forwarding
their offers to our mailing list.