[Israel.pm] Job: looking for a Perl developer

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Thu May 13 17:25:31 PDT 2010

Gabor Szabo wrote:
> You have not given either the name of the company or your own name.
> Is that some secret operation?

Given the flames job postings receive every now and then (in other
mailing lists more often than this one), I'm not sure I would identify
my company nor myself.

The logic goes like this: If someone is looking for a job, all he or she
needs to do is to drop a mail with the relevant CV. If this person wants
to keep his or her jobseeking secret, doing this is not wise anyhow,
even if all cards are on the table. If it's not a secret, there is no
reason not to drop this mail to just anyone. Conclusion: Telling
everyone who you are has no effect on who's going to send you their CVs.

So except for satisfying our curiosity, there is no reason whatsoever to
say anymore than just the job qualifications. As a matter of fact, there
is no point to even spell out these, since obviously anyone looking for
a job would send the CV anyhow. I mean, it costs nothing.

This is an annoying result of simple game theory, but it all started
when people thought it's cool to "educate" companies' representatives in
public.

   Eli

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il