[Israel.pm] Poll: What are the most important features of an employer or a job opportunity for you?

Chanan Berler bc.other at gmail.com
Sun May 9 01:47:19 PDT 2010

Hi Gabor,

As a fellow programmer who also used Perl programming on different type
of work place:
Motorola - automation for mobile cell phones
Commtouch - spam detection
Centerity - CGI / Web - Nagios plugins
TTI / HOT - Perl scripts for working with Remedy platform

1. Perl tends to spread to so many fields of programming...that many managers
    can't put their fingers on - means some people look for system engineers
    while some look for Web/Client Perl programmers, while others might look
    for platform scripts programmers.

2. Many places I have been who worked/working with Perl never tends to take
    programmers like C# / java programmers - therefor their salary goes down
    so programmers tends to use it less and less...same goes to all other script
    programmers.

3. Major issue: many work places using company for looking for programmers
   and there is lake of knowledge on what Perl really is.
   talked with places like ...... (don't wanna say names) - none of them really
   knew how to direct my CV to places...most of them are looking for
C# / Java programmers

PS: another major issue, less companies using Open-Source stuff
       (besides unix HP/Solaris and Debian), so Perl programmers have less field
       for managers to approtio