[Israel.pm] Perl on Android in Haifa

Gabor Szabo szabgab at gmail.com
Sat May 1 12:11:50 PDT 2010

Thanks Shmuel for organizing the meeting and Qualcomm for
providing the venue for the meeting and for all the people who
came. I hope you got enough input to kick start you on your way
to write Perl for Android devices even if you don't yet own one.

On the way back to Tel Aviv we tried to fix the Perl script that
uses coordinates given by the GPS for measuring speed and
distance but it did not work. Later I found out that the problem was
that for some reason in takes several minutes for my Android based
device to recognize that it is using GPS. Once I waited enough I
managed to see how the coordinates are changing as I drive
around the city.

Sawyer wrote a report about it that can be found here:
http://blogs.perl.org/users/sawyer_x/2010/05/perl-on-android-progressing.html

There will be people who are interested in this just for the cool of it
other will think that they can even make money by writing applications there
yet others will think that if enough interest is shown to Google
they too will provide more acces to their device from Perl and
the other dynamic languages.

Some links:
Android: http://www.android.com/
Android SDK: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

The Android API for the dynamic languages:
http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/wiki/AndroidFacadeAPI

regards
   Gabor
   http://szabgab.com/