[Israel.pm] Report about the Last Tel Aviv Perl Mongers Meeting

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Fri Oct 25 05:33:11 PDT 2013

Hi all,

thanks to everyone who came to the meeting, and special thanks to Issac for
giving an interesting talk about writing distributed apps using Gearman. I'm
sorry that Erez couldn't make it eventually, and I hope we can hear him talk at
a later date.

Some people (including me) had difficulty in finding the room, and for future
reference, one should climb to the second floor and then climb an extra flight
of stairs that extends from the corridor there, with a white door at the top
with the label "software engineering" department.

Anyway, some people mentioned emscripten there which compiles LLVM to
JavaScript ( https://github.com/kripken/emscripten ) and people mentioned that
it was used to port CPython and the ruby interpreter to JavaScript. I noted
that someone else and I started working on a JavaScript port of
the /usr/bin/perl C source code using it - https://github.com/themucker/plu .
Last time I tried, it required some manual tweaks to the final output (due to
what appear to be emscripten bugs), and themucker seems to have disappeared for
a while, so I'll need to find some time and motivation to work on it again.

Reading the Python source of emscripten itself made me appreciate Perl's
quoting features again as exemplified in Ran's old talk about quoting, because
I ran into some triple quoted strings inside triple quoted strings there with
three backslashes (something like \'\'\').