[Israel.pm] When is your bus going to arrive?

Scott Weisman sweisman at pobox.com
Thu Nov 28 00:55:51 PST 2013

She is quite the capable hacker, and she uses Perl extensively!

I believe the bus stop displays here use the same system. Where I live, the
devices are solar powered (thus clearly off-grid). They could be fed by
cellular data, but I doubt it.

I saw her post and would really like to do this myself. I have the needed
RTL-SDR unit. Unfortunately, she hasn't published the code she wrote, and
seems reluctant to do so.

However, even with just rudimentary RF signal understanding, it is probably
possible to to adapt an RDS decoder (she published code for one, and there
is another that uses GNU Radio) to this purpose.

Further, all this info is published by the Transport Ministry. They provide
what I believe is a free feed, but like anything bureaucratic, they make
you go through hoops to get the feed server:

http://he.mot.gov.il/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2243:pub-trn-memchakim&catid=167:pub-trn-dev-info&Itemid=304

The data is published using an open standard (SIRI, not to be confused with
Apple's Siri!). But it seems overly complex to me.

I think getting the data from the FM DARC channel is way cooler though.