[Israel.pm] HostGator is using Dancer

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Thu Nov 7 04:48:42 PST 2013

Hi all,

On Tue, 5 Nov 2013 16:45:00 +0900
Shmuel Fomberg <shmuelfomberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All.
>
> Did you know that Host Gator (a hosting company) is a Perl shop? I heard
> that they had a recruiting booth in the last YAPC::NA.

Interesting and I suppose it's nice. I'm using Host Gator for many of my sites,
and I'm happy overall. See:

http://www.shlomifish.org/meta/hosting/

> Anyway, judging from a stack trace that one of their services gave me, they
> are using Dancer. cool.

That's nice. However:

<<<<

shlomif at shlomifish.org [~]# hostname
gator4065.hostgator.com
shlomif at shlomifish.org [~]# perl -v

This is perl, v5.8.8 built for x86_64-linux

Copyright 1987-2006, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl".  If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.

shlomif at shlomifish.org [~]# which perl
/usr/local/bin/perl
shlomif at shlomifish.org [~]# /usr/bin/perl
perl             perl.1334706727  perldoc          perlthanks
perl.1328211190  perl5.10.1       perlivp
perl.1328910871  perlbug          perlml
shlomif at shlomifish.org [~]# /usr/bin/perl -v

This is perl, v5.8.8 built for x86_64-linux

Copyright 1987-2006, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl".  If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.

shlomif at shlomifish.org [~]#

Why is it stuck on an ancient perl? :-(.