[Israel.pm] #perl-help irc channel

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Thu Jun 20 07:26:47 PDT 2013

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 10:42:28PM +0900, Shmuel Fomberg wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 10:19 PM, sawyer x wrote:
>
> > Erez Schatz gave a wonderful talk on how to handle questions like this.
> > On one hand you want to answer them, but on the other hand you want to
> > educate them on searching the documentation.
> >
> > The specific example you gave probably isn't in this exact bracket,
> > because it's a very very specific question. I mean questions like "how do I
> > create objects in Perl" or "what does this function do?" - which are very
> > common, and get the same RTFM responses.

Sometimes the documentation is not that great.  Part of that is due to
Perl.  It takes a list and returns a list is a good description of a
large number of Perl functions.  It is not specific like C is in this
regard.  That leaves a lot of room for creative writing and examples,
and interesting implementation specfic behaviors.

But I think my pet peave is the pack and unpack functions.

> I'm not in the business of education. I help people.
> So first I help him by giving a short and exact answer to the question.
> Then, if there is a good reading source, I will point him to it.
>
> Here is another example, some time ago: a user tries to store values into a
> DB table.
> The problem that he is actually having: values not interpolating into the
> query string. (he used single-quote with the variables embedded)
> When I arrived to the scene, he was getting a long explanation about the
> dangers of SQL injection. nobody helped him with the actual problem.

Yeah that is not useful.

> His data source: his research data's csv file. No problem with SQL
> injection here.
> I solved the problem, and told him to ignore everything that they said. And
> that if one day he will write a web app, he should learn a bit about that
> "SQL injection" that they talked about.

Not all Perl programming is for the web?