[Israel.pm] #perl-help irc channel

Shmuel Fomberg shmuelfomberg at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 06:42:28 PDT 2013

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 10:19 PM, sawyer x wrote:

> Erez Schatz gave a wonderful talk on how to handle questions like this.
> On one hand you want to answer them, but on the other hand you want to
> educate them on searching the documentation.
>
> The specific example you gave probably isn't in this exact bracket,
> because it's a very very specific question. I mean questions like "how do I
> create objects in Perl" or "what does this function do?" - which are very
> common, and get the same RTFM responses.

I'm not in the business of education. I help people.
So first I help him by giving a short and exact answer to the question.
Then, if there is a good reading source, I will point him to it.

Here is another example, some time ago: a user tries to store values into a
DB table.
The problem that he is actually having: values not interpolating into the
query string. (he used single-quote with the variables embedded)
When I arrived to the scene, he was getting a long explanation about the
dangers of SQL injection. nobody helped him with the actual problem.
His data source: his research data's csv file. No problem with SQL
injection here.
I solved the problem, and told him to ignore everything that they said. And
that if one day he will write a web app, he should learn a bit about that
"SQL injection" that they talked about.

double ufff.

Shmuel.