[Israel.pm] #perl-help irc channel

Shmuel Fomberg shmuelfomberg at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 01:44:06 PDT 2013

Hi All.

I always have the #perl-help channel open in the background. (at least
@$work)
But sadly, some of the more active people there always send users to the
manual, even when the manual does not contain the answer.
They just can't give a short, helpful answer. it always make me angry.

Latest example:
user: whats the difference of 'int' and 'POSIX::floor' ?
popl: perldoc -f int will tell you
<it does not. at least not clearly and not without opening POSIX
documentation to compare>
<popl goes on and rants>
me: for negative numbers, int(-5.5) is -5, while floor(-5.5) is -6
user: thanks!

And the same happens every. single. time. uffff!
People, if you can't handle giving simple answers, get off #perl-help!

Shmuel.