[Israel.pm] packaging Perl script(s) with dependent Perl modules in a tarball

Shmuel Fomberg shmuelfomberg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 22:53:24 PST 2013

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 10:55 PM, Yona Shlomo wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Jan 2013, Shmuel Fomberg wrote:
>
> > FatPack jam everything to one big file.
>
> > Also, be sure to review what he is going to pick - he takes everything
> that
> > is not core and your program uses. I was surprised to learn when it not
> > actually core...
> > (it makes an intermediate file that you can edit)
>
> What do you mean?
> Will it try to add unnecessary dependencies?

There are a few modules that are 'semi-core', practically exists
everywhere, but not part of the formal core. I was surprised to find that
DBI is one of them.
Also, if you happen to install a newer version of a core module, (for
unrelated things) FatPacker will assume that you need this version and not
the core one, and will pack it along.

Shmuel.