[Israel.pm] packaging Perl script(s) with dependent Perl modules in a tarball

Shmuel Fomberg shmuelfomberg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 00:20:42 PST 2013

Hi Shlomo.

> I have a set of scripts, which depend on 3rd party modules.
> I want to be able to deploy them to machines other than mine
> (which don't have these 3rd party modules. Moreover, these
> modules are unlikely to ever be installed centrally, as they
> are not part of the "cookbook" of the machine).
>
> I'd like to be able to build a tarball with the code and
> dependencies, which can be deployed to any machine I want
> (assuming same operating system), so that once unpacked, it
> can work "out of the box".
>
> What's a practical way to package required modules with my
> code?

FatPack jam everything to one big file.
Works nicely if you don't have XS dependencies.
Also, be sure to review what he is going to pick - he takes everything that
is not core and your program uses. I was surprised to learn when it not
actually core...
(it makes an intermediate file that you can edit)

And it knows what your program uses but running "perl -c script.pl". so if
you use 'require'... don't.

Shmuel.