[Israel.pm] How - utf8 hebrew with vvim

Gaal Yahas gaal at forum2.org
Sun Jan 27 07:33:45 PST 2013

It sounds like your new system can handle UTF-8, but your data is still
8-bit (8859-8). When you try editing the file without telling the editor
about its legacy encoding, it gets mangled which is why it's also mangled
in other viewers such as the browser.

You have two options: keep editing the file in the legacy encoding, for
example by saying encoding=iso-8859-8 as you mentioned. This may be fine
for  a single file, but you probably don't want to make this setting for
all your files (by putting it in your rc file) -- you will lose the ability
to edit (say) Latin-1 or other files.

The other option is to re-encode the file in UTF-8. This is the modern
approach. This can be as simple as

iconv -f ISO-8859-8 < myfile > myfile-in-utf8

(iconv also has a "-t", but UTF-8 is the default. iconv -l will display a
list.) But this means that any other user of the file needs to understand
the new encoding, or you break them. But it's 2013, and it's time to get
rid of 8-bit encodings already.

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 4:20 PM, Shlomit Afgin <shlomit.afgin at weizmann.ac.il

Gaal Yahas <gaal at forum2.org>
http://gaal.livejournal.com/