[Israel.pm] How - utf8 hebrew with vvim

Shlomit Afgin shlomit.afgin at weizmann.ac.il
Sun Jan 27 06:20:48 PST 2013

I know it's not a perl question but I'm sending this question in case someone know or can redirect me to the right place.

I'm working with gvim on our old server with encoding=iso-8859-8 and it work okay.
I have new linux server and I would like to work with encoding utf8.
When I gvim a file I see the hebrew as junk and also write junk. When I look from the web it's also look junk.
If I add to the file ~/.gvimrc the line: set encoding=iso-8859-8
I see the hebrew okay in gvim  and in browser.

I also try :
     env LANG=he_IL.UTF-8 vim -H
     LANG=he_IL gvim -H
With no success.

What I need to do in order to be able to see utf8 hebrew with gvim?

Thanks,
Shlomit.