[Israel.pm] Essay for Review: “Sherlock Holmes about Awk” - http://shlomifish.livejournal.com/1991.html

Assaf Gordon assafgordon at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 09:22:08 PST 2013

On 02/16/13 13:47, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> I found Awk to be quirky, limited, unusable, and something that's halfway between a domain-specific language and a full-fledged programming language. Its regex syntax is quirky, its associative arrays cannot be nested, it has these silly line comprehensions, and knowing it and keeping will just clutter my mind. Furthermore, I realised that GNU awk does not have any equivalent to perl's backticks - `...` out of its silly philosophy, which made it useless for writing another Windows script, and had me look into Lua instead (which worked nicely).

I guess it's a matter of opinion, so discussing awk's regex, backticks or my examples wouldn't change your mind.
We'll leave it at that.

> >  To conclude:
> >  AWK is still alive and well, and saying "you should not keep AWK in your
> >  resident memory" is (IMHO) wrong as a general statement.
>
> It isn't.

I hope other people won't dismiss it so effortlessly, I think they would find a valuable tool for certain circumstances.

Good luck with the talk.
The entire workshop looks great, I wish I could attend...

-gordon