[Israel.pm] The syntax role of the colon (':')

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Sun Sep 16 04:01:46 PDT 2012

Hi Meir,

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 13:18:17 +0300
Meir Guttman <meir at guttman.co.il> wrote:

> Dear Shlomi,

Well, the "Mojolicious docs" appear to be the same as the normal perldocs except
formatted as HTML. There are other places you can view them such as
http://perldoc.perl.org/ . The "Mojolicious docs" even have a /perldoc/ URL which
is indicative of their origin.

> >> Good reading, thank you all Shana Tova and Gmar Khatima Tova!
> >>

> >Shanah Tovah. However, I should note that חתימה is spelt with a
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heth , instead of a
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaph (as Khaph), so it should be
> >transliterated into "Hatimah" or "Chatimah"
> >- not as "Khatimah".
>
> I am by no meaning a linguist, so am shrugging... I was told by a
> Hebrew speaking, authoritative American that 'ח' is transliterated as
> 'kh' while 'כ' is 'ch'. Also, my experience with many other
> Hebrew-aware (but not necessarily Hebrew-speaking) Americans
> pronouncing my street name (נחל-דן) for example was compatible with
> that.
>
> Is there an אקדמיה ללשון העברית official transliterating guide? Are
> you sure these Wikipedia pages are authoritative?

Wikipedia pages cannot be authoritative because they are world-editable.
However, they often point to references.

I believe "כ" is transliterated into "kh" because "Kaph" in English is
"K" (from "Kaph-Lamed-Mem-Nun" - K-L-M-N) and and h appended indicates the
non-stressed version. So for example a non-stressed "P" is "ph" (with an f sound),
a non-stressed "t" is "th" (þ like thorn), a non-stressed d is "dh"
(ð , like the English "there"), a non-stressed "b" is "bh" (a "v" sound), and
a non-stressed Gimel is "gh" (like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghazal ).

You can find the official transliteration guide here:

http://hebrew-academy.huji.ac.il/hahlatot/thetranscription/pages/default.aspx

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish.