[Israel.pm] The syntax role of the colon (':')

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Sun Sep 16 01:35:08 PDT 2012

Hi Meir,

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 11:15:10 +0300
Meir Guttman <meir at guttman.co.il> wrote:

> Thank you Gaal!
>
> Your pointer is excellent! Googling for «perlio» yielded a lot of
> useful links.
>
> Of these I found that the most useful start in “Mojolicious”.  My
> recommended steps are:
>
> 1.       Start with Mojolicious’ “perliol” document’s “Basic
> Structure”: http://mojolicio.us/perldoc/perliol#Basic_Structure
>
> 2.       Go to the PERLIO section in Mojolicious’ “perlrun”:
> http://mojolicio.us/perldoc/perlrun#PERLIO (Why is this architectural
> introduction in the document that explains how to run the Perl
> interpreter is a mystery to me…). In that section there is a direct
> answer to my question, to quote:
>
> A space (or colon) separated list of PerlIO layers. If perl is built
> to use PerlIO system for IO (the default) these layers effect perl's
> IO.
>
> It is conventional to start layer names with a colon e.g. :perlio to
> emphasize their similarity to variable "attributes". But the code
> that parses layer specification strings (which is also used to decode
> the PERLIO environment variable) treats the colon as a separator.
>
> 3.       Follow with Mojolicious’ PerlIO doc
> (http://mojolicio.us/perldoc/PerlIO)
>
> 4.       Then follow any of these documents’ “See also...” to your
> heart’s content!

Just a note - I believe that http://mojoliciou.us/perldoc/ is just an interface
to the standard Perl POD documents which can be found under pod/ and other
places in the perl distribution, and can be accessed using the "perldoc"
command. E.g:

perldoc perlrun .

So they have nothing in particular to do with Mojolicious.

> Good reading, thank you all Shana Tova and Gmar Khatima Tova!

Shanah Tovah. However, I should note that חתימה is spelt with a
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heth , instead of a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaph
(as Khaph), so it should be transliterated into "Hatimah" or "Chatimah"
- not as "Khatimah".