[Israel.pm] The syntax role of the colon (':')

Meir Guttman meir at guttman.co.il
Sun Sep 16 01:15:10 PDT 2012

Thank you Gaal!

Your pointer is excellent! Googling for «perlio» yielded a lot of useful links.

Of these I found that the most useful start in “Mojolicious”.  My recommended steps are:

1.       Start with Mojolicious’ “perliol” document’s “Basic Structure”: http://mojolicio.us/perldoc/perliol#Basic_Structure

2.       Go to the PERLIO section in Mojolicious’ “perlrun”: http://mojolicio.us/perldoc/perlrun#PERLIO (Why is this architectural introduction in the document that explains how to run the Perl interpreter is a mystery to me…).
In that section there is a direct answer to my question, to quote:

A space (or colon) separated list of PerlIO layers. If perl is built to use PerlIO system for IO (the default) these layers effect perl's IO.

It is conventional to start layer names with a colon e.g. :perlio to emphasize their similarity to variable "attributes". But the code that parses layer specification strings (which is also used to decode the PERLIO environment variable) treats the colon as a separator.

3.       Follow with Mojolicious’ PerlIO doc (http://mojolicio.us/perldoc/PerlIO)

4.       Then follow any of these documents’ “See also...” to your heart’s content!

Good reading, thank you all Shana Tova and Gmar Khatima Tova!

Meir