[Israel.pm] New design for TA.pm website

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Tue Sep 4 10:16:48 PDT 2012

Hi Sawyer,

On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 19:16:54 +0300
Sawyer X <xsawyerx at cpan.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the TA.pm website has been neglected for a while. This includes
> writing about new meetings and adding content (such as slides from
> talks).
>
> While time was a factor, the main reason (or at least the one I'll
> admit to) was that the design was cumbersome and ineffective and made
> it difficult to present content. The build system was tricky and
> annoying and still required many duplications in content, even after
> Amir Friedman overhauled much of it. Thank you, Amir, by the way. :)
>
> I recently redid the design of it, and you can view it at:
> http://telaviv.pm.org/v2/. As you can see, it maintains the content
> from the previous site, but also includes more links and a much nicer
> layout.
>
> You can find the website on the "v2" feature branch in the Github
> repository, here: https://github.com/xsawyerx/telaviv.pm/tree/v2
> I'd be happy to receive any patches and pull requests. I'm also
> willing to provide commit bits to whoever asks.
>
> I'd be happy to get any feedback, and would appreciate focusing on the
> following:
> - Do you think the new design is better?

Yes, it is better, IMO. But the old one was good too (as far as visual design was concerned).

> - What do you think should be added as links on the right?

You can add MetaCPAN, http://perl-begin.org/ and http://www.perl.org/ .
Maybe also perl5maven .

> - Do you have a blog that we could link to?

I have several. You linked to my shlomif-tech blog, but I also have
http://blogs.perl.org/users/shlomi_fish/ which is dedicated to Perl. I don't know
which one is more appropriate.

> - Should we add a "members" section where we could write a bit about
> community members?

I don't know. I'm OK with that.

> - Would you like to help going over the previous talks and collect the
> details and any slides they may had?

Count me in. I'll see about using git pull requests for that.

> - Did I miss anything?

The site has no contact information at the bottom, see:
http://www.shlomifish.org/meta/FAQ/#obscure_email_addr .