[Israel.pm] Perl Training Materials Thoughts

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Wed Oct 31 04:47:44 PDT 2012

Hi Ynon,

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 12:41:45 +0200
ynon perek <ynonperek at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I sometimes teach basic or advanced perl class, and usually when I teach
> the advanced class I need to spend some time explaining to everyone why
> "use strict" is important, and how to "use autodie" or about the
> 3-arguments open, etc.
>
> Most of the students have taken a basic perl class sometimes in the past
> (some even recently), but neither the trainer nor the slides mentioned any
> of that stuff...
>
> On the other hand, I'm teaching this advanced perl class for a client who
> used my materials and their own trainer for the basic class. (My slides are
> online).
> Now, at this client, they start all programs and exercises with use strict,
> open files with my filehandles, etc.
>
> So I was thinking if we can reach other perl trainers and either bring them
> to the group, or just create some guidelines paper, maybe titled "before
> teaching perl, make sure you understand these points". Or create open
> training materials for perl trainers to use ...
>
> (as a side-note, if you take a perl class and the first program has "use
> strict" on it, you'll use strict. Strict is just an example of course, and
> we should think about best-practices that new perlers should have from day
> 1).
>
> What do you think ?

Well, I've been collecting pieces of advice about Perl best practices here:

http://perl-begin.org/tutorials/bad-elements/

It is based in a large part on Damian Conway's book Perl Best Practices:

http://perl-begin.org/books/advanced/#pbp

A lot of what I say in the page has reached consensus among the members of teh
clueful Perl community, but some of it may be considered only my opinion (and
some of it I omitted, because it was only nitpicking or a matter of taste, see:
http://modernperlbooks.com/mt/2009/10/from-novice-to-adept-on-answers-to-smart-questions.html
)

Now you may wish to use that document (which is CC-by) as the foundation for
yours. Is there anything else I'm missing?