[Israel.pm] NYTProf shadow files?

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Fri Oct 26 01:45:25 PDT 2012

Hi Shmuel,

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 09:53:28 +0900
Shmuel Fomberg <shmuelfomberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All.
>
> I'm using NYTProf to profile our web Perl application, configuring it using
> Apache's SetEnv command.
>
> SetEnv PERL5OPT -d:NYTProf
> SetEnv NYTPROF file=/tmp/nytprof.out:addpid=1:sigexit=1
>
> The weird thing is, that I see more nytprof.out.* files in the /tmp
> directory then I expect.
> I added a print to the logs to list the pids of the application CGI, and
> some of the files do not come from my application, and also they
> are corrupted.
> (the NYTProf documents says about the corruption: probably the END block
> wasn't reached)
> I look at the head of these corrupted files, and they claim that they were
> created by our app.
> Totally weird.
>
> Anyone have seen this problem?

I have not seen this problem, but on the other hand, I have not tried this
idiom to run CGI programs using NYTProf. However, I believe the problem is that
more perl programs get run using NYTProf than those you expect. One option to
avoid this is to set the -d:NYTProf flag, only for the programs by wrapping them
inside small shell or perl scripts.