[Israel.pm] DB_File->fd returns 0 on Windows

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Tue Oct 9 01:13:30 PDT 2012

Hi Shmuel,

On Tue, 9 Oct 2012 10:13:02 +0900
Shmuel Fomberg <shmuelfomberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All.
>
> I was hunting for a bug why DB_File->fd is returning 0 on windows
> (instead of the DB file descriptor)
>
> looking in the module, it has a test for it. only - the test is
> commented out
>
> took me a few minutes to find out which version this commenting-out
> was done
>
> and then looked in the change log. ah, here it is:
>
> "Fixed test failing under windows"
>
> (DB_File version 1.812)
>
> oh really? thanks. now the test works. but the module - not so much
>
> this is so annoying

Yes, it is.

> why do people write tests, if when the test failed they just disable
> it?
>
> Maybe we should make a short for that: ICTDD - Ignored and comment
> test driven development.

Well, this phrase makes no sense. Maybe you mean "Ignored and commented-out
test-driven development".

In any case:

1. Why have you not reported this bug here -
https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Dist/Display.html?Name=DB_File . How do you expect
this problem to be fixed at the core otherwise?

2. Why aren't you using http://metacpan.org/release/BerkeleyDB instead of DB_File ?

I might as well argue that you should not use MS Windows, but that is
besides the point.