[Israel.pm] Oh how much I hate

sawyer x xsawyerx at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 00:53:57 PST 2012

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 3:52 AM, Shmuel Fomberg <shmuelfomberg at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi All.
>
> ... when people tell me that some feature is in Perl from version 5.11.3.
> or maybe, in case of modules, 2.04_07
> I'm sorry, I only think in release versions. how does that map to a "real"
> version?
>
> this is just an annoying show-off.

First of all, relax. Breath. Calm down. :)

The purpose of development versions is that they help with gradual changes
and upgrades and finger-grained testing and quality assurance before major
releases.

Often times people refer to the development version that introduced a
change because the stable hasn't gone out, or because they worked very
closely with the project and thus associate a feature with the time it went
out and the development release that went with it.

Also, it's rare, but sometimes development releases actually go out as part
of a major stable release. Some Perl releases went out with development
releases of modules, which prompted a thread on p5p asking to stop doing
that after it messed up cpanminus.

Since the underscore is just a separator, 2.04_07 means 2.0407. The next
version up (say, 2.05) would be the matching stable release.
It shouldn't be complicated, especially for you.

S.