[Israel.pm] DBI.pm

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Wed Nov 14 00:12:40 PST 2012

Hi all,

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 09:43:08 +0200
Shlomi Fish <shlomif at shlomifish.org> wrote:

> Hi Shmuel,
>
> On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 09:57:59 +0900
> Shmuel Fomberg <shmuelfomberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all.
> >
> > I was surprised to learn that DBI.pm is not a core module.
> > It is installed everywhere, right? just not core...
> >

> DBI.pm is indeed not a core module. Furthermore, DBI.pm is not very useful
> without any DBD:: drivers: https://metacpan.org/search?q=dbd , and these are
> often dependent on vendor libraries.
>
> Regarding it being installed everywhere - it is not inconceivable that some
> systems won't carry it. Furthermore, some operating systems' distributions
> move away some parts of the Perl core to different packages, in order to save
> space on the default installation, so you should not assume that everything
> core is installed by default either.
>
> And naturally Perl may not be installed at all either in the first place (as
> is the case for Microsoft Windows, or some minimalistic by default Linux
> distributions).

Replying to myself, I wanted to note that the perl 5 porters policy is to
include in the perl core only CPAN distributions that are required to install
all other CPAN distributions and get your system up and running to your
preference. Otherwise, various distributions of Perl may deviate from this and
include more packages. See for example:

* http://strawberryperl.com/release-notes/5.16.2.1-32bit.html

* http://dwimperl.com/windows.html