[Israel.pm] DBI.pm

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Tue Nov 13 23:43:08 PST 2012

Hi Shmuel,

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 09:57:59 +0900
Shmuel Fomberg <shmuelfomberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I was surprised to learn that DBI.pm is not a core module.
> It is installed everywhere, right? just not core...

DBI.pm is indeed not a core module. Furthermore, DBI.pm is not very useful
without any DBD:: drivers: https://metacpan.org/search?q=dbd , and these are
often dependent on vendor libraries.

Regarding it being installed everywhere - it is not inconceivable that some
systems won't carry it. Furthermore, some operating systems' distributions move
away some parts of the Perl core to different packages, in order to save space
on the default installation, so you should not assume that everything core is
installed by default either.

And naturally Perl may not be installed at all either in the first place (as is
the case for Microsoft Windows, or some minimalistic by default Linux
distributions).