[Israel.pm] CPAN dependencies are evil

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Fri Nov 2 00:14:57 PDT 2012

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 8:15 AM, Shmuel Fomberg <shmuelfomberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is this what we get from the famous CPAN and the testers? modules that can
> not be installed, silenced tests (I wrote about it a month ago) and a lot of
> headache.

You know, CPAN is a collection of contribution by many people.
While I understand the frustration, there is an easy way to improve
the situation.

If you think "this is not my job", then no one will do it.

I might have missed it, but I don't see your name here:
http://stats.cpantesters.org/testers.html

The most basic way to help is to configure your CPAN client so
it will report every success and failure to the CPAN Testers
and to the authors of the modules.
http://wiki.cpantesters.org/wiki/QuickStart

After the initial set up, you don't have any more work with it.

If you want to help a little more, then set up a CPAN
smoker on your system, that will send the reports
long before you actually need the module.
http://wiki.cpantesters.org/wiki/SmokeTools