[Israel.pm] CPAN dependencies are evil

Shmuel Fomberg shmuelfomberg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 23:15:51 PDT 2012

Hi all.

Just venting some frustration.
suppose that your module depend on 50 other modules. (in total)
suppose that each module have about 2% chance to fail to test/install.
what is the chance that your module will be installed successfully without
someone breaking his head to understand why it didn't and search the bug
queues?

36%

And how many modules on CPAN have a small fail/unknown tester results? a
lot.
And these results are heavily based towards linux. good luck if your system
is a osx or (heaven forbid) windows.

And lately, modules are using more and more dependencies  just add Moose,
or some other framework, a few plugins, some testing modules and DB
modules, and see how you suddenly depend on half of CPAN.

ufffff.

Is this what we get from the famous CPAN and the testers? modules that can
not be installed, silenced tests (I wrote about it a month ago) and a lot
of headache.

ufff.

Shmuel.