[Israel.pm] ILPW 2012 Survey Results

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Sun Mar 25 21:50:27 PDT 2012

Barbie has posted the results of both the Israeli and the German Perl Workshop.

http://blogs.perl.org/users/barbie/2012/03/israeli-german-perl-workshop-survey-results.html

As I can see the two workshops were about the same size.
If we compare the size of the two countries then ...

Trying to compare the results:
- The response rate was slightly better in Germany
- The respondents were slightly younger in Israel
- Job Type seems to be quite similar
- Industry seems to be very different but I am not sure how well we
understand the difference between
  IT Services - 4 times more in Germany,
  Internet/Web - 2 times more in Israel,
  Telecommunications - 3 times more in Israel
  I am certainly confused between all these names

How do you rate your Perl knowledge?
  In Germany most of the people answered Advanced and a few Intermediate.
  In Israel 20% beginners, 50% intermediate and 30% advanced.
  Either we are more modest - something I would find strange :) -
  or we should be happy that we could attract more beginners!

How many previous Perl Workshops have you attended?
  21 in Israel 11 in Germany.
  This is not very surprising given the their reported(!) level of
Perl knowledge and the fact
  that there were Perl Workshops in Germany almost every year in the
last 10 years while we had
  a 5 year break in Israel.

Do you plan to attend a future YAPC/Workshop?
  About the same positive results though in Israel we had 2 people who
did not know and 2 people
  who won't attend.

Are you a member of a local Perl Mongers user group?
  More people are members in Israel than in Germany.
  This surprised me.

What other areas of the Perl Community do you contribute to?
   Here the GPW attendees showed a lot more contributions.
   This goes together with them being more advanced users but I think we,
   in Israel should work in getting more people involved in these
   other areas of the Perl community.

Were you a speaker?
  On the positive side: in Israel a lot more non-speakers responded to
the survey. Thank you!
  On the negative side: in Israel there were fewer speakers doing 2
talks. I hope next time
  we will have more speakers! The regular Perl Monger meetings are
good place to practice!

What was your motivation for coming?
  In Israel, more attendees were interested in the speakers and the talks.
  In Germany more people wanted to socialize.

What kinds of talks would you prefer at future Israeli Perl Workshops?
  Most people would like to see more intermediate and advanced level talks.

That's about what I could dig out.

 regards