[Israel.pm] No technical Perl Mongers meeting (though maybe hackathon) this month, please submit talks for next meeting

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Tue Jun 19 18:22:26 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 4:58 PM, sawyer x <xsawyerx at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hackathon?
> Gabor has suggested a hackathon a few times. It's a pretty successful
> concept abroad and people get together and learn how to do things (use
> objects, use frameworks, write interfaces, solve work or non-work problems,
> etc.), code new stuff, add features to other applications, and so on. I
> think this could play out well in our group and people could both learn a
> lot from it and enjoy themselves. It is very enjoyable, trust me! :)
>
> If you're interested in doing a hackathon, mention it on the list. If we get
> enough people (I reckon 4+ is a good number), we could do a hackathon
> instead of or following our Perl Mongers meeting. Some hackathons have 10,
> 20 and even 30 people. In that case, we just break off to groups where
> people work on whatever they want.

In the little experience we have with hackathons at the mettings it seems the
allocated time is not enough to finish talking and start hacking.
Maybe if we don't have technical talks we can reach the point of hacking
though maybe we would want to allocate more time to the hackathon
than just 18:30-22:00 ?

> - working on TelAviv.pm.org and automating the tools to update it

Which reminds me. It is still unclear to my why do you want to have
a separate Perl Monger group and why updating http://perl.org.il/ isn't good?

regards