[Israel.pm] substitute hebrew letter

Meir Guttman meir at guttman.co.il
Thu Jun 14 14:12:44 PDT 2012

Hi Shlomit!
If Unicode text is part of the Perl program, you MUST place the «use utf8;» pragma in it! No ifs and buts! Saving the file as utf8, with or without a BOM (Byte Order Marker) has no bearing on your program whatsoever!
Look up http://perldoc.perl.org/5.10.1/utf8.html (or the same for your Perl version).
Also looking up the Perl Unicode tutorial http://perldoc.perl.org/5.10.1/perlunitut.html could help.
If you will give me an e-mail address I'll send you a presentation about "Unicode aspects in Perl" I gave awhile ago. (This list does not care for attachments...) It will have some useful info I believe.

Regards
Meir