[Israel.pm] Recommended ruby lecture

Amir F amirf at null.co.il
Tue Jan 31 04:05:21 PST 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Issac Goldstand <margol at beamartyr.net>wrote:

> On 31/01/2012 13:56, Gabor Szabo wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 9:57 PM, ynon perek <ynonperek at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> David Hansson (creator of rails) talks about many of the things he likes
> >> about ruby - and most of them will probably remind you a lot of perl.
> >>
> >> If you have the hour, I recommend watching (it even has a Larry Wall
> slide)
> >> http://net.tutsplus.com/articles/lectures/why-ruby/
> >>
> > Finally I had the time to watch it (instead of doing some more urgent
> things :)
> > In general he had a couple of good points and some questionable ones.
> >
> > What I found interesting is that, outside of that Larry Wall slide, he
> > has not mentioned Perl.
> >
> > He bashed Assembly, PHP, Python, Java and Microsoft but not Perl. At
> > least not directly.
> >
> Which is especially odd, as IIRC Larry has no problems bashing Ruby :)

That's the thing though, isn't it? It's one thing when you can make your
point, show examples and have an attempt at defending Perl.
One of the most frustrating things is that many from the Ruby community
don't even consider Perl it as something worth mentioning. I often end up
getting the "You're using what?! Do people still use that? What, like big
applications?".

Amir