[Israel.pm] Perl code in a Java Shop

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Sun Jan 29 10:42:52 PST 2012

Hello Shlomo,

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 13:55:14 +0200 (IST)
Yona Shlomo <yona at cs.technion.ac.il> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have useful (and extremely short!) Perl code that I wrote to implement heavy production tasks over hadoop/map reduce/hive.
> I do it using Hadoop Streaming.
>
> I have on the other hand classes over classes of boilerplate Java code to do the same.
>
> I work at a Java shop, so Perl code isn't welcome.
> I want to show that in addition to rapid development and easy and flexble changes I can also easily add tests (unit tests and integration tests) and have them run on the continuous-integration and continuous-deployment work flow of the company (which runs over Junit/Maven/TeamCity/Glu).
>
> Any advice on packaging the Perl code, testing it and integrating it into the Java-oriented environment would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't worked with these Java-based technologies, so I cannot answer your
question, but I'd like to note that you should also try to ask your question
on http://stackoverflow.com/ (in case you don't know what it is, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stack_Overflow ). There are many more knowledgeable people there,
especially those that are Java experts, and you can register and contribute
free-of-charge.