[Israel.pm] Perl and Python

Meir Kriheli mkriheli at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 01:11:05 PST 2012

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 1:38 PM, Gabor Szabo <gabor at szabgab.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 2:05 AM, Meir Kriheli <mkriheli at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It's the natural evolution of one of Perl's biggest shortcomings from my
> > POV:  Miniscule STD lib (which leads to no stdlibs tests on multiple
> > platforms and extensive docs). Without such features it'll be a real mess
>
> I think tests on multiple platforms is very well achieved by the CPAN
> testers
> http://cpantesters.org/ though you might be right that core perl is
> tested on
> more platforms than the CPAN modules. With that said, I am almost sure
> that's still bigger than the number of platforms a Python is tested on.
> I would be very interested in testing reports of Python and PyPi libraries
> so I can update my blog entries about that.

I sure it's bigger as well. That's the only missing thing I would've taken
from CPAN, the modules testing, all the rest is "meh".

For Python's buildbot, see:

http://www.python.org/dev/buildbot/

> > (When I've read Gabor's recent question regarding reading a file in
> modern
> > Perl, my first reaction was: WTF ?)
>
> What was the WTF about? The syntax of the core open() function,
> the syntax of the things I was suggesting, the fact that fopen() is not
> core,
> the whole issue of having various ways or something else?

Not syntax wise. My WTF momement was: Why isn't fopen (ot other if there's
some better practice) part of the stdlib ? Why a seasoned Perl developer
should even have to ask that question, instead of reading about adopting it
in the release notes of Perl X.YY ?