[Israel.pm] Some articles about the curse of code reuse.

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Mon Jan 2 05:51:01 PST 2012

Hi Gabor,

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 09:57:03 +0200
Gabor Szabo <gabor at szabgab.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 9:47 PM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif at shlomifish.org> wrote:
> >
> > Do you feel programming has become too boring?
>
> I only read your quotes and have not followed the links.
>
> I think one of the reasons Python and Ruby got a boost is that they
> did not yet have CPAN.
> So newcommers could reinvent their own wheels.

Interesting. In Python, at least, there used to be one dominant solution (or
"the elephant in the room") for any domain, at least very soon. That wasn't the
case for XML parsing modules which Python used to sport many alternatives of
for some reason (and maybe still does).

> I think this is part of the same reason why there are many
> implementation to almost everything on CPAN.

Well, part of the reason may be because people were unhappy from all previous
existing solutions that they could find (which was the case for my
HTML-Widgets-NavMenu), but you're right that sometimes people like re-inventing
wheels.

> OTOH I think everything is an API or abstraction.

Well, in the first reply to Erez, I made the distinction between an API and a
meta-syntactical abstraction.

> print() of perl is an abstraction of some lower level thing.
>
> so is DBI->connect
>
> and so are the mehods of WebService::GData::YouTube
>
> I think using WebService::GData::YouTube to create something
> useful is as interesting as using print() or split() though I admit
> I was more excited when I was writing in Assembly on ZX Spectrum.
>
> But probably that was becasue I was 16 and the whole thing was new to me.

Yes.