[Israel.pm] Using Facebook to reach more Perl developers in Israel

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Sun Jan 1 01:25:38 PST 2012

Hi and welcome to 2012!

I hardly use Facebook for my own social activities but I understand
many people do
so I have been wondering how to use Facebook to advance Perl in Israel
and the Israeli Perl Mongers.

This is my understanding:

While there are 241 registered users on our main mailing list and 59
on our news list,
I believe there are a lot more people who might be interested in our
activities but registering
to those mailing list seem to be too much of a commitment for them.

Some of those people use Facebook and some of those would be ready to follow
the Facebook page (or "like" it in FB terms). Then we can use this page to
post announcements. Both about the workshop and about our regular meetings.

As these people see our activity at one point they might come to one
of our meetings and/or they might even join our mailing list.

At least that's my hope.

Action plan:
=========

If you are a Facebook user and you would like to help me reaching more people
then here is the action plan:

- Visit the page at http://www.facebook.com/Israeli.Perl.Mongers and
click on "like"
- Post a status update on your wall linking to
http://www.facebook.com/Israeli.Perl.Mongers
  inviting your friends to click "like" on that page.

Because you already "liked" the page you will probably see my updates
regarding our meetings and the Perl workshop.
Once in a while you can "like" the posts and share them with your friends.

Gabor
ps. If you have more experience with Facebook, I'd really appreciate your ideas
how else could it be used to reach more Perl users in Israel?