[Israel.pm] Power outlets in Israel + Schuko plugs

Mikhael Goikhman migo at freeshell.org
Sat Feb 25 00:27:20 PST 2012

On 24 Feb 2012 11:35:53 +0100, Stefan Hornburg (Racke) wrote:

> On 02/24/2012 10:13 AM, Issac Goldstand wrote:
> > On 24/02/2012 11:04, Stefan Hornburg (Racke) wrote:
> >>
> >> I wondering whether Schuko plugs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schuko)
> >> would fit in the power sockets.
> >>
> >> They usually do where Euro plugs work, but not always. Sometimes
> >> the sockets are too small, like in Switzerland.
> >>
> > There are a mixture of sockets here.  Usually they'll fit (though
> > sometimes you need to be a bit rough) but there are some sockets
> > (usually older ones) that they're too big for.  In the worst case you
> > can get a non-grounded converter for about 1 EUR in most small hardware
> > stores here.
>
> Yeah, I found a converter that should do the trick in my big red box
> with all kinds of electronic things :-).

Just check that the converter itself has a Europlug and not a Schuko
plug. :) Otherwise it will be mostly useless in Israel. There are
many converters on ebay that are wrongly advertised as "for Europe",
but in fact have pins of 4.8 mm diameter that is larger than the
Europlug 1990 standard (4 mm). In Israel power sockets accept round
pins of 4-4.5 mm, but usually do not handle Schuko without breaking.

Regards,
Mikhael.

--
perl -le 'print$,.=chr(64+hex),-8x(16+$;--)for+split//,d9b815c07f9b8d1e0'