[Israel.pm] Perl unicode question

Gaal Yahas gaal at forum2.org
Mon Feb 13 02:54:13 PST 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Issac Goldstand <margol at beamartyr.net>wrote:

> If there's one thing I can never seem to get straight, it's character
> encodings...
>
> I'm trying to parse some data from the web which can come in different
> encodings, and write unit tests which come from static files.
>
> One of the strings that I'm trying to test for is "Forex Trading Avec
> 100€"  The string is originally encoded (supposedly) in ISO-8859-1 based
> on the header Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 and presence
> of the following META tag <meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
> content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">

When dealing with encoding problems, it's helpful to isolate the problem as
much as you can. Every piece that reports on an encoding can get it wrong,
and the fact that both the server and the document claim it's 8859-1
doesn't mean it they aren't lying. So start by fetching the document in raw
form with curl or wget, and open that with "od -t x1a".

> (N.B. I'm a bit confused by that as IIRC, ISO-8859-1 doesn't contain the
> EUR character...)

The standard predates the currency.

> When opening the source code in a text editor as either ISO-8859-1 or
> ISO-8859-15 (or even UTF-8), I can't see the character.  I *do* see the
> character when viewing it as CP1255 which kinda worries me, as I get the
> feeling I'm a lot farther from the source as I think when I see that...

Sounds like you actually have the problem in your hands: somebody
misencoded the data.

> My unit test for above test is as following:
>
> use utf8; # String literals contain UTF-8 in this file
> binmode STDOUT ":utf8";
> open($fh, "<:encoding(ISO-8859-1)", "t/html0004.html") || die "...: $!";
> $parser->parse_file($fh); # Subclassed HTML::Parser
> is($test->{top}, "Forex Trading Avec 100€", "Correct headline text");

If you tweak your code to use cp1255 (which encodes Euro as 0x80), does it
pass? I expect it should, confirming the problem.

> However, this test does not pass on the EURO, giving me the following
> result:
> Wide character in print at /usr/local/share/perl/5.12.4/Test/Builder.pm
> line 1759.
> #          got: 'Forex Trading Avec 100€'
> #     expected: 'Forex Trading Avec 100€'
>
> Both the warning and the mismatch bother me....  The warning, because I
> assumed that opening STDOUT as a utf8 stream would deal with it.  And
> the mismatch, because I can't figure why it's mismatching...

I'm not sure why you're getting the warning, since you are indeed setting
the encoding with binmode. Try rerunning with env PERL_UNICODE=0 to prevent
perl from making any assumptions. Could your test be running in a BEGIN
block for some crazy reason?

Gaal Yahas <gaal at forum2.org>
http://gaal.livejournal.com/