[Israel.pm] Upgrading Perl on CentOS 5.7

Assaf Gordon gordon at cshl.edu
Wed Feb 1 11:28:08 PST 2012

Gabor Szabo wrote, On 02/01/2012 12:49 PM:
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Assaf Gordon <gordon at cshl.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone had experience with upgrading perl on a stable CentOS system ?
>>

> I assume you plan to first test your code base with the new version of
> perl and only then will you roll it out to a production machine,
> right?

Nah, I just edit my dancer modules directly on the live production server, life's more interesting this way :)

> In any case I would not touch the system perl but I'd install it in a
> separate directory.
> Either with perlbrew or manually.

I preferred Roman's answer, so "/usr/local" it is.

As a wise man once said: "If you can't be a good example, you'll have to be a terrible warning".
I'll send a warning to the list if "/usr/local" will turn out to be a bad idea...

Thanks for the quick reply all!

 -Assaf