[Israel.pm] Upgrading Perl on CentOS 5.7

Assaf Gordon gordon at cshl.edu
Wed Feb 1 09:22:04 PST 2012

Hello,

Long ago there was a thread about "which perl version are you using in production".
Up until yesterday I was content with 5.8.8 (because that's the stable package version on CentOS 5.7).

Now I need to use a module that requires perl 5.10.
If I'm upgrading, I might as well upgrade to 5.14.2.

My question is:
How safe is it to install it from source on CentOS 5.7 to "/usr/local" ?
Or should I install it to a private directory (e.g. $HOME/localperl) - but that would require messing up with the $PATH variable everywhere...

Has anyone had experience with upgrading perl on a stable CentOS system ?

Feedback welcomed,
 -Assaf.