[Israel.pm] Selenium testing

Shmuel Fomberg shmuelfomberg at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 00:33:39 PST 2012

Hi All.

I'm still working on building test suite for selenium, and currently
thinking about moving what I do to an extended selense. (or whatever the
language of Selenium itself is called)

Each command of Selenium is three parts: (command, op1, op2).
For example: (type, "name", "my name"), which will type inside element
#name the text "my name".

However, for itself it is pretty low level. type this, verify that, click
there. I think to take it and extend it for application-specific common
operations, like clicking on the menu and selecting from the standard
listing.

This, and also choose my selectors carefully. I have come to recognize that
XPATH is quite powerful, and can let me express targets smartly.
such as "the check box inside a label element that contains this text". so
the tests should be pretty resistant to many changes in the page.

Of course, if the requirements will include loops, I'll abandon this
way immediately  Already saw what happens when people try to make a
language tuning-complete. this is not pretty.

Shmuel.