[Israel.pm] Testing-focused meeting at next TA.pm?

Thomas Maier hayzer at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 02:45:46 PST 2012

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 10:56 AM, sawyer x <xsawyerx at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Amir Friedman <amirf at null.co.il> wrote:
>>
>> Hey,
>>
>> That's a great idea, I'd love to participate.
>

> Yay!
>
>> A few other thoughts/topics I have:
>>
>> Having a talk on your approach towards testing external 3rd party APIs
>> In the talk about test coverage, possibly talk also about when not to
>> test? When and if they can be redundant.
>
> Great ideas!

Basically you can write small Dancer based REST API application. The
one that is using some database.
Than in the unit test you can show for example how to mock the DB and
some coverage report.
Later you can create full end-to-end functional test like
* setup: push data to DB, run application
* test the HTTP response (positive and negative tests)
* teardown: close application, clean the DB.

To make it even more fun, later add some bug and check out how your
tests response to this.
I'm sure sawyer can tricks you all out with some nifty bug ;)

... I'm already sorry, I won't be there

Thomas