[Israel.pm] [OT] R in Israel

Amit Aronovitch aronovitch at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 13:49:15 PDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 10:14 PM, moshe nahmias <moshegrey at ubuntu.com>wrote:

> what are looking for? i am studying in the TA university so if it can be
> beneficial to students or researchers i might be able to help

Yona could answer best regarding his original idea. R is certainly in the
scope of our new numeric-computing group (link in Gabor's message below).
For starters, I'd be glad if someone volunteers to do some kind of "intro
to R" talk.

> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Gabor Szabo <gabor at szabgab.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 1:28 PM, Yona Shlomo <yona at cs.technion.ac.il>
>> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > This is an offtopic, but since I know many of the
>> > participants of this mailing list are multidisciplinary I
>> > will give it a short:
>> >
>> > Are you or do you know people in Israel that are interested
>> > in R (http://www.r-project.org/), working with R, want to
>> > learn R, etc.?
>> >
>> > I'm thinking of starting an R-mongers (or something of that
>> > sort) and am curious if the effort is well balanced with the
>> > interest.
>> >
>> > Your input is most appreciated.
>> > Thanks.

Certainly some companies use R for daily work. I do not know how to measure
the interest, but once the numeric-compuing group starts rolling, we can
ask around and get a better idea.
Until then (and always) you are welcome to join in.

> Just a few days ago I saw a message by Amit Aronovitch on the
>> Python mailing list about some related effort.
>> See http://hamakor.org.il/pipermail/python-il/2012-April/thread.html
>> He linked to  http://www.numberjacks.org/israel
>>
>> I have CC-ed Amit too.

Thanks Gabor!
(I am subscribed to this list, but this does encourage me to break silence
:-) )