[Israel.pm] use and require

Gabor Szabo szabgab at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 04:00:31 PDT 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Shmuel Fomberg <owner at semuel.co.il> wrote:

>>> In the case of an editor, I would expect it to load a minimum on
>>> startup, but then load silently all the other features, so the user
>>> won't need to wait when he needs them.
>>> And there, in the code that loads the features, there should be all the
>>> requires.
>> Shall we load all these modules and take up memory
>> space even if the user never uses any of the features?
> Yes.
> Come on, memory is cheap. if you sit and worry about it, you waste effort.
> load everything silently, and let the user feel quick response.

Memory is cheap but that does not mean we should waste it.

We "waste" enough time on making sure we don't leak memory.
I think we can afford some time to save memory for our users.
You know what. The person who works on this the most is
Adam Kennedy. He does this because he wants his computer
to do more for him. So let him scratch his itch.

Oh and my netbook has 1Gb and besides Padre I'd also
like to be able to load other things as well.