[Israel.pm] use and require

sawyer x xsawyerx at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 06:09:38 PDT 2011

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 2:56 PM, Meir Guttman <meir at guttman.co.il> wrote:

> Hey Sawyer,

Hey Meir. :)

1) IMHO, this is an excellent topic for a beginner's talk, when to prepare
> for and/or use each.

Good idea. I think it can be covered in a lightning talk. I'm thinking of
doing a local::lib lightning talk, but maybe this month I'll do "use" vs.
"require".

If anyone wants to give this talk, I would be *very* happy!

> 2) I'll try to come to the next meeting with a SHORT (~10 min.) talk about
> dealing with Unicode (and specifically Hebrew). This is definitely a
> beginner-to-beginner talk, so all the heavy guns out there (read: Sawyer,
> Gabor, Shlomi, etc.), hone your talons and prepare to add and clarify...

Yay!
(and I wouldn't consider myself a 'heavy gun')

Unicode is indeed a real PITA (and not the good kind of Pita, that you eat
with Hummus) and I'd be happy to see a talk covering it. I also think it's
good to have it as a short talk, since this can also be very difficult to
understand. I know my personal attention span for technical talks on
charsets and Unicode is rather limited.

The key term here is "try". I hope I'll have enough free time to do it. But
> not having a ten minute talk will not leave a too gaping hole in the
> schedule, right?

Trying is good! You cannot succeed without trying, trust me, I've tried!

Either way, don't worry about the schedule, let me worry about the schedule.
:)
... or as the famous monologue in Futurama:
*That Guy*: OK, let's work on your execu-speak. I'm worried about "blank".
*Fry*: Don't you worry about "blank". Let me worry about "blank".
*That Guy*: Good. I also would have accepted, "Blank? Blank? You're not
looking at the big picture!"
-- http://futurama.wikia.com/wiki/Future_Stock

Sawyer.