[Israel.pm] Fwd: TelFOSS Soliciting a Talk about Automated Software Testing

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Sun Sep 19 03:02:29 PDT 2010

Subject: TelFOSS Soliciting a Talk about Automated Software Testing
Date: Sunday 19 September 2010, 12:01:02
From: Shlomi Fish <shlomif at iglu.org.il>
To: "Linux-IL" <linux-il at cs.huji.ac.il>, Tel Aviv Open Source Club
<telux at hamakor.org.il>

Hi all,

following on Sawyer's talk about version control, I've been thinking of doing
another talk about a different software best practice: automated software
testing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test_automation

Since I'm a big practitioner and advocate of writing automated tests and test-
driven development, the topic is close to my heart and I can prove of some
assistance in researching and preparing the material for the presentation. But
I'm not a good speaker so I'm looking for someone to actually deliver the
talk.

Would anyone stand forward and can give a talk about it?

Some useful items to cover:

1. The motivation for automated tests - providing a spec for the program,
making sure bugs not resurface, preventing bugs, avoiding over-engineering,
having confidence in the code, etc.

2. Short introduction to automated tests by writing tests for the classic "add
two numbers" demo.

3. Overview of various approaches for testing frameworks - TestUnit, BDD
(rSpec, etc.), Ruby's cucumber, perl's TAP, testml, etc.

4. Testing various kinds of domains:
	- Testing APIs.
	- Testing Command line apps.
	- Testing terminal (curses, etc.) applications.
	- Testing websites.
	- Testing GUI programs.

5. Various kinds of tests:
	- Unit tests.
	- Integration tests.
	- System tests.

6. Test coverage and beyond (see
http://www.mail-archive.com/boston-pm@mail.pm.org/msg04588.html ).
	- Should you aspire for full test coverage?

If you'd like to volunteer for that, please let us know at taux at cs.tau.ac.il .