[Israel.pm] convert old DOS Hebrew encoding

Levenglick Dov-RM07994 RM07994 at freescale.com
Thu Oct 28 05:58:17 PDT 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_8859-8

Best Regards,
Dov Levenglick
SmartDSP OS Development Leader
-----Original Message-----
From: perl-bounces at perl.org.il [mailto:perl-bounces at perl.org.il] On
Behalf Of Tzadik Vanderhoof
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2010 15:51
To: Israel Perl List
Subject: [Israel.pm] convert old DOS Hebrew encoding

I have a binary data file, in a format used by a relatively ancient
program, which I am trying to convert into something sane. With the
help of a Hex editor I have basically worked out the file format
except that it contains Hebrew characters with an odd encoding.

All characters are 8 bits. The "standard" 27 consonants (including
"final" consonants) go from hex 80 to 9A. Then there are vowels that
seem to start around hex 9B or so (I'm guessing right after the
standard consonants end). Then there are "dotted" consonants that seem
to start at hex E0.

If I remember correctly, I think this is some sort of DOS encoding
(perhaps connected to the old "Hebrew chip"). Does anyone have a table
of this character mapping or a tool that will translate this mapping
into a more normal Hebrew encoding like Unicode?

Thanks so much!

--
Tzadik