[Israel.pm] What hurts you most in Perl?

Jason Elbaum jason.elbaum at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 04:00:23 PST 2010

When I developed in Perl in a corporate environment, I deliberately avoided
using CPAN modules. We supported a widely-distributed deployment environment
where we could not rely on the availability of specific installed modules at
all user sites, or indeed of the same version of Perl.

Building a binary distribution file linking in libperl and the script text
was not difficult. Rolling external modules into it was - especially given
perl's dynamic loading mechanism for XS code. It would have required
deploying all the source of the CPAN modules with the Perl script and
interpreter.

So I'd say ease of application deployment was an issue for the adoption of
Perl in general and CPAN in particular.

Jason