[Israel.pm] What hurts you most in Perl?

Gabor Szabo szabgab at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 01:33:14 PST 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 1:06 AM, Ronen Angluster <beerholder at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 9:46 PM, Gabor Szabo <szabgab at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Ronen Angluster <beerholder at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > i can't use Moose cause of legal & corporate issues. lets not dwell on
>> > this,
>> > its a life fact
>> > and we came to peace with it.
>>
>> Does the  corporate policy forbid anything from CPAN or only Moose?
>
> as a thumb role, we prefer not to introduce any new CPAN modules into the
> system.
> the "cost" of such actions dictate that we should strive to build things
> in-home

So this is an area where the open source developers and the people in
the company
you work for disagree.  AFAIK most of the people in the open source community
would want to reuse code from CPAN where possible.
As my objective is to try to bridge the gap between the companies and
the open source
community I'd like to understand where does this difference come from?
What "costs" do you see that the open source developers don't see
and code developed in-house does not have?

regards