[Israel.pm] What hurts you most in Perl?

Ronen Angluster beerholder at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 15:06:19 PST 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 9:46 PM, Gabor Szabo <szabgab at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Ronen Angluster <beerholder at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > i can't use Moose cause of legal & corporate issues. lets not dwell on
> this,
> > its a life fact
> > and we came to peace with it.
>
> Does the  corporate policy forbid anything from CPAN or only Moose?

as a thumb role, we prefer not to introduce any new CPAN modules into the
system.
the "cost" of such actions dictate that we should strive to build things
in-home

> Would you be able to use 5.14 if it came out tomorrow with "real classes"?

nope. this would take time, but if such a feature would become available it
would
help us advocate this change

> unit testing will take us a long way, but not long enough.
> > a major chunk of our code rely on the output of other components which at
> > times cannot be covered
> > in a unit test. so we're left with some of the code checked, while some
> use
> > cases might slip
> > the coder & reviewer's keen eyesight and pop like mushrooms on a dung
> heap
> > at a customer's site...
> > not a pleasant thought...
>
> I don't think the Perl community can help overcoming corporate policy
> and lack of testing.

yes, but right now, perl way of operation the OO environment is a major
issue that cause people to look at it as a mer scripting language.
look, you can scream "real applications can be built with perl" as loud as
you want,
but it wont convince people unless it has the right features.
as it is, since the only way to real verify typos and method calling written
in the code
is to actually run it. evaluating code that should  failed in compile time
cost a lot in programmer hours. its a feature that perl is missing.
but unfortunately
i don't think we'll ever get it.
however, i am working on a code evaluating class at my own spare time,
 when it'll be market worthy i'll add it to CPAN's repository.

Have you proposed to management to invest in tools that will help solving
> some of the issues you have?

more then once, and we are working on such solutions.